- One preparatory course ‘Mathematics for Social Scientists’ and the core course ‘Current Research Perspectives’ (2 ECTS each)
- Two graded core courses – ‘Crafting Social Science Research’ and ‘Theory Building and Causal Inference’ (6 ECTS each)
- Submit a literature review at the end of the first semester (6 ECTS)
- ‘English Academic Writing’ course (3 ECTS)
- Attend the ‘Dissertation Proposal Workshop’ (2 ECTS) and submit a dissertation proposal (8 ECTS) at the end of year 1.
۱st and 2nd semester:
- ۱۸ ECTS from the CDSS elective courses portfolio on methods of the Social Sciences
- ۱۲ ECTS from topical elective courses (research seminars) in the respective discipline
- One elective bridge course of at least 5 ECTS. Choose from a different CDSS discipline or from courses offered by the CDSB and CDSE.
۳rd semester onwards:
- Regularly participate in research colloquia (2 ECTS per semester) and the CDSS Dissertation Workshops (3 ECTS per semester)
- Work on dissertation and its defense (90 ECTS)
The entire PhD program amounts to 180 ECTS points.
The following grading scheme is used at the CDSS: 1,0 (excellent) to 4,0 (fair/pass) and 5,0 (fail). A differentiation in 0,3 steps (1,3; 1,7 etc.) is possible. Elective courses are graded either PASS or FAIL.
For an overview of CDSS courses, please refer to the CDSS course catalogue.