دانشگاه آنتورپ (University of Antwerp) یکی از دانشگاه های اصلی کشور بلژیک می باشد که در شهر Antwerp قرار دارد. این دانشگاه از استانداردهای بالایی در حوزه آموزش و پرورش برخوردار است و یکی از دانشگاه های ممتاز جهان می باشد که در مقاطع مختلف تحصیلی دانشجو می پذیرد. تحصیل در اکثر رشته ها در مقاطع کارشناسی و کارشناسی ارشد به زبان هلندی (داچ) و در مقطع دکترا به زبان انگلیسی می باشد. دانشگاه آنتورپ در شهر آنتورپن قرار دارد. این شهر دومین شهر بزرگ بلژیک بعد از شهر بروکسل می باشد. آنتورپن شهری بندری و دومین بندر بزرگ اروپاست. دانشگاه آنتورپ یک دانشگاه کاملا چند ملیتی بوده و دانشجویانی از کشورهای اروپایی، آمریکا، کشورهای آفریقایی، کشورهای جنوب شرق آسیا و … در این دانشگاه مشغول به تحصیل هستند.
The faculty of Medicine at the University of Antwerp has the following positions available:
PhD Student (m/f): Epidemiology of Tuberculosis
The University of Antwerp is a knowledge centre with more than 4000 co-workers.
The Centre of Whole Genome Sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis is a FWO-funded collaboration between the University of Antwerp, Belgium (the Global Health Institute (GHI), department of Epidemiology and Social Medicine (ESOC), and VAXINFECTIO) and the University of Stellenbosch in South Africa (DST/NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Tuberculosis Research and the South African Tuberculosis Bioinformatics Initiative (SATBBI). The research of these institutes focuses on important domains such as vaccine preventable diseases, infectious diseases (including TB, HIV/AIDS and malaria), management of chronic diseases, and neglected tropical diseases.
The Centre of Whole Genome Sequencing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis is actively studying tuberculosis in southern Africa, where samples and associated data are being collected continuously. Prof Annelies Van Rie at the Epidemiology for Global Health Institute at the University of Antwerp, in collaboration with Prof Rob Warren at the DST/NRF Centre of Excellence for Biomedical Tuberculosis Research University of Stellenbosch are seeking to expand their team’s epidemiological capabilities.
We are looking for PhD candidates to work on the multiple aspects of the research focused on the epidemiology of TB; such as transmission dynamics and outbreak investigation in a high TB burden settings, mechanisms of emergence, epistasis and transmission of drug resistance. The goal is to perform highly multidisciplinary translational research in order to improve the management and treatment of TB patients.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of epidemiology of Tuberculosis.
- You perform research within the context of a multidisciplinary, international team of young investigators, mentored by senior investigators Profs A. Van Rie in Antwerp and Prof R. Warren in South Africa.
- You collaborate closely with an interdisciplinary team of computer scientists, clinicians, microbiologists, system biologists, epidemiologists, and bioinformaticians.
- You perform high quality research that results in the publication of scientific articles related to the research project in high impact peer reviewed journals.
- Your main employment is in Antwerp, Belgium, complemented with extended stays (of variable duration depending of the requirements of the specific research project) in Cape Town, South Africa.
- You develop new ideas and help with the writing of grant proposals to assist in the long term goals of the Centre for Whole Genome Sequencing of MTB and attract external research funding from the private and public sector in the domain of basic and applied whole genome of MTB research on national as well as international level.
Profile and requirements
- You hold (or will hold by July 2017) a master degree in epidemiology, public health or a related discipline. You have a strong interest in infectious diseases.
- You have an outstanding academic record.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- Strong interest in scientific work; flexible, autonomous, excellent communication and interpersonal skills; strong sense of initiative and responsibility.
- Good communicative skills, collaborative and multidisciplinary interest.
- Excellent knowledge of English, both oral and written.
- Gender equality will be promoted.
- Residents of Belgium and South Africa are especially encouraged to apply.
- a full-time position starting preferably on September 1, 2017;
- salary according to university standard remuneration rates, depending on academic qualifications and former professional experience;
- a dynamic and interdisciplinary international research environment;
- a stimulating international collaborative network.
How to apply?
- Application deadline: May 15, 2017.
- To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, academic transcript record, two letters of recommendation and a cover letter highlighting your motivation, relevant knowledge, experience, and your future goals to email@example.com
- More information can be obtained from Prof Annelies Van Rie (Annelies.VanRie@uantwerpen.be) and Prof Rob Warren (firstname.lastname@example.org)